Optional page text here. The Beast's Lair: The History of the name "The Beast"

Thursday, June 30, 2005

The History of the name "The Beast"

Just so you know, this is not a self-proclaimed nickname, and it initially had nothing to do with my character of person, rather the style of my hair. Stewart Austin, my doubles partner during my junior tennis days, gets the credit for branding me with the nickname. Back in those days, my hair did not grow down and long, as it is right now, but it grew thick and out, like an afro. So, at one point I just let my hair go crazy. It was on the tennis court that Stewart came up with the line of "you look like a beast out there."

Funny enough, I kept this hair style into my first year of college, where one of my tennis teammates changed my nickname, for him anyway, from The Beast to The Lion. I guess he thought it looked more like a lion's mane.

3 Comments:

Blogger Barry Wallace said...

Hey Phillip - thanks for blogrolling me. Looking forward when I can join you and your brother both at Universal or wherever. Good luck with your youth group!

June 30, 2005 11:24 PM  
Blogger PhilipMeade.com said...

Thanks Barry, glad to hear you had a good time at my home away from home.

July 01, 2005 12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HMMM BHEEEEEEEAR!! I thought it had something to do with the lightning quick feet on the TKO kit back in the Eternal Pit days?

July 08, 2005 1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home