Optional page text here. The Beast's Lair: MSN's Top 10 Slasher Films

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

MSN's Top 10 Slasher Films

Typically, these kinds of lists that are occasionally released concerning horror movies are terrible. However, the list of the top 10 slasher flicks from MSN is pretty good. You can read the article here.

I have seen all the films on the list, and the two that I have problems with are #9, Scream and #5, Cabin Fever.

The article mentions how Scream ushered in a disastrous era of poorly made, poorly acted, cheeseball horror films. . .which is true. But for me, Scream just didn't capture my interest. I think it was well made with a great catch at the beginning and a decent finale from a legendary director. But, I just couldn't make myself like it.

Cabin Fever just wasn't a good film. It is outshined by Wrong Turn, which was released a year later and House of 1000 Corpses which was also a year later. Besides, there is nothing really slasher about Cabin Fever. It is a virus-horror flick.

BUT. . .to the major credit of MSN, they have placed Funhouse at #3 on the list. One of these days, I will go into more detail on this film, but let's just briefly say that Funhouse has been one of The Beast's favorite picks for years, and it never gets the credit it deserves. I mean this picture has it all. . .atmosphere for days, great directing, genuine scares and that creepy feeling that makes you want to take a shower after you watch it. (a mark of a really great movie.) Where else can you have a person say "they wiggle and they dance" and make you feel creeped out?



Also on the list which brought a smile to my face is Black Christmas. Another forgotten gem that does it right.

Of course, the biggest thumbs up from The Beast is that Halloween is placed #1. Anyone who doesn't place Halloween at the top of the list has some serious horror movie issues. It almost isn't even fair to include it in the possible list of movies, it so clearly goes to #1.

1 Comments:

Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

I think most horror films that come out these days are nothing but crap. Then again, I'm more of a b-movie fan.

February 07, 2006 10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home