Optional page text here. The Beast's Lair: My goodness this is funny

Friday, February 22, 2008

My goodness this is funny

This one had me laughing hard for quite a while. If you are one of the few Lair readers who does not attend church regularly, this one will go over your head.

LONG BEACH, Calif. — Sunrise Christian Church’s worship team decided last Sunday to change directions a bit and avoid all known Matt Redman songs in worship.

"We realized that most of the stuff we sing was written by him, so we wanted to change up the spirit of things," says the worship leader. "You can’t let one songwriter dominate your song selection."

They successfully avoided better-known Redman songs like "The Heart of Worship" and the nearly ubiquitous "Blessed Be Your Name." They also vetoed "Wonderful Maker" and "Once Again," as team members shrewdly recalled that these songs, too, might have been written by the prolific Christian Brit.

Then things went off course. To end worship time, the band segued into "Let Everything That Has Breath" and "Better is One Day." "I didn’t know those were Matt Redman songs," said the guitarist sheepishly later. The band further erred by playing "I Will Offer Up My Life" and "Let My Words Be Few" while the offering was taken.

After the service, a somber mood engulfed them in the green room.
"It’s impossible to completely avoid Matt Redman songs during any extended time of worship," said the band leader dejectedly. "People may as well give in."
The pianist said she felt "Redman-handled by the whole experience."
"It’s humbling to realize that without Matt Redman, I wouldn’t have a worship music vocabulary," she said.

In separate news, a remote tribe was discovered in the mountains of New Guinea, and despite their complete isolation from the modern world, the tribe was already familiar with the gospel of Jesus Christ and with several Matt Redman songs which the tribespeople say angelic beings taught them. Missionaries gave the tribe Bibles, a crank-powered CD player and a Matt Redman’s greatest hits CD.

5 Comments:

Blogger Barry Wallace said...

Interesting, I've been part of our church's Praise & Worship team for more than a year now and part of the church's general music life for 15 years, and I've never heard of any of those songs or of Matt Redman.

Must be a Baptist thing :)

February 22, 2008 8:54 AM  
Blogger PhilipMeade.com said...

lol, not quite Barry. These are some of the most popular and widely played praise and worship songs of the last 10 years. "Blessed Be Your Name" was the Dove Awards Praise and Worship Song of the Year in 2005. I am really more than amazed that a praise and worship team would not have played "The Heart of Worship", "Blessed Be Your Name" or "Better Is One Day" so many times that it has made you sick. Maybe your worship leader is doing a better job of avoiding Matt than these guys. lol. Ask your leader next time about Matt Redman. By the way, I forgot to mention in my post that this article comes from www.larknews.com - a hilarious website of fake Christian news.

February 22, 2008 9:21 AM  
Blogger Michael Ruffin said...

It's like the Methodists trying to worship without the hymns of Charles and John or the Baptists trying to worship without those of Fanny Crosby. Paralyzing, just paralyzing.

February 22, 2008 3:14 PM  
Blogger Barry Wallace said...

My wife informs me that yes, Barry, you do know those songs. And when she hummed some of them and I listened to clips online I recognized several as some we've done. I just didn't recognize his name (don't really pay attention to the Artists) and forgot the titles. So we're not quite the heathens I thought we were...

February 23, 2008 11:13 AM  
Blogger PhilipMeade.com said...

I do the same thing man, I never know titles to songs. However, our good friend Rex can name you every song title and artist from that incredible decade known as the 80's. It is something to behold.

February 23, 2008 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home