Optional page text here. The Beast's Lair: Post-Christmas Things

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Post-Christmas Things

I enjoyed tremendously worshipping on Christmas. Being at church with my wife was just a wonderful way to spend a small portion of my Christmas day.

However, there are recurring statements made in church that drive me crazy. Just as bad as the ever present cliches in sermons that offer the layperson ear candy are the rants and ravings of a supposed well-meaning Christian who doesn't really know what they are talking about.

Christmas morning, and right before a respected gentlemen in our church sings his solo (which was great), he goes off on a 5 minute rampage about how using the spelling X-Mas is a sign of the "fall of our society."

First of all, even if he was correct, there are times and places for things. Worshipping on Christmas morning right before singing "Birthday of a King" does not seem like the ideal time to unleash with a "here is what's wrong with society" mini-sermon.

But secondly, what people don't take the time to understand, or just don't care, is that the name Christ in Greek (the original language of the New Testament) is spelled Xristos. So, the use of that particular spelling is really using an abbreviation of the name Christ. True, I prefer to see it spelled out Christmas, but the use of X-Mas is not the end of our society. Let's just get to the song.

After the worship service and time with family, Andi and I arrived back at our home at 4:30 pm. We immediately made some hot chocolate and hit the couch. We dragged ourselves off the couch and into bed at 2:00 am. Yep, over 9 hours on the couch.

It was simply incredible.

2 Comments:

Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

9 hours on a couch, not too shabby. I just saw king kong too, I never thought I'd feel sympathy for a 25 ft. gorilla.

December 27, 2005 8:16 AM  
Blogger Pastor Scott Stiegemeyer said...

Thanks for making the point about Xmas. I find that I often have to explain that as well. The way I look at it is this. There are plenty of battles that we must fight. But this is not one of them.

December 30, 2005 8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home