Optional page text here. The Beast's Lair: Another Encounter with The New Age Movement

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Another Encounter with The New Age Movement

I have just returned from a meeting with a parent. Her daughter, who was visiting with one of her friends, recently made a profession of faith in Jesus Christ at church. After arriving at the parent's home, we chatted about the weather and the current housing market. I then moved into telling her about her daughter's decision for Christ. I have done this a hundred times, and you never quite know what to expect. Tears of joy, laughter, an angry parent, a confused parent, etc. After delivering the news of her daughter's decision, this mother pondered for a moment, and then said, "well, we of course know that all paths lead to God." Once again, I was hurled into a conversation with a New Ager.

This post is not to convince you New Agers that you are wrong. This post is a plea for Bible believing Christians to have a solid and ready defense for the accuracy and historicity of the Bible. Now, the Bible does not need our help. Charles Spurgeon once said that the Bible is like a lion. You don't have to help a lion; "just turn him loose." But Christians need to always be ready to "make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you." (1 Peter 3:15).

As our conversation began, she told me about another church that had recently visited her. The two people from the church continually said the same thing, "Your heart is wrong, you need the truth." Although that may be a fine beginning point, they were unable to move forward with why her heart was wrong, specifically, why she needed to believe the Bible. Apparently, the conversation took an ugly turn and the church guys left upset. A ready defense of your faith and the Bible does not lead to anger in a conversation. Rather, it leads to a calm, confident, knowledgable discussion. Here is what happened today with me:

We finally melted down her belief structure to this point: the Bible is not reliable because it was written and researched by man. I hear this attack of the Bible more than any other single concern. To her credit, this parent remained very calm, and she allowed herself to listen, just as I was making sure she knew I was listening to her. That is the next point. You must listen when defending your faith. They will not listen to you if you do not listen to them.

I wish I could tell you that she immediately accepted Christ on the spot. But, we had a wonderful discussion. A very powerful seed was planted, and at the end of our discussion, she commented on how calm I was and that she had never seen a Christian remain so calm talking to her. Now, this has nothing to do with how great I am. All that happened was that I was ready with my defense, I did not get angry or blow up, and I listened to her. Those three simple things were radical to her, and as I left, she said, "I may need to adjust a few things so that my daughter can continue with her decision." She then gave me a tour of her house because I had told her that Andi and I were looking! What could have been a horrible experience was a divine appointment for me. What appointments does God have for you today?

Three things to remember when talking to a New Ager.

1. Have a ready defense of your faith. Not, "I just have always believed that way."
2. Do not get angry or flustered.
3. Listen to what they are saying.

If you want to know some great literature on the accuracy of the Bible and making a defense of your faith, send me an email. I will be happy to help you.

7 Comments:

Blogger Barry Wallace said...

Have you read "A Case for Christ"? I thought that was a great read.

December 06, 2005 2:16 PM  
Blogger PhilipMeade.com said...

No, I haven't. He has several in that series, but I have not read them.

December 08, 2005 12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW The Beast. The other half and I just got back from our friends house (well her friends house) and I needed a huge break. I am working on a project right now that is based on beatles guitar tabs. I have literally been on-line for 2-3 hours doing research. Even though this post really isn’t on the same page as beatles guitar tabs I am certainly glad I came across your blog. There are a ton of great view points on this blog. Well I think I can here the kids screaming in the background. I put you in my internet favorites and I will certainly come back and visit. If you want to take a peek at my site you can find me here at beatles guitar tabs. I update my site very frequently. Again, great job blogging and I will be back again soon!

December 08, 2005 12:42 AM  
Blogger Barry Wallace said...

*sigh* Spam...

TCFC is a great read, Phillip - I'd recommend it to not only clarify some of those nagging details and logistical questions of Christ and his time on Earth (and beyond).

December 08, 2005 11:24 AM  
Blogger PhilipMeade.com said...

I love how spammers have disguised their rude behavior with "this blog rocks!"

December 08, 2005 12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info
Harriette area rugs Ford tarus floor mats nexium drug indicaion Nexia froid Fetish designers gay melbourne Free+samples+of+ativan Nexium antiacid Cancer in rectal ultrasound Paris hilton blog Dance accessories parasols New cordless answering machine

December 09, 2006 9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! Seroquel 100 http://www.cingular-phone-plans-for-2006.info/Diet-for-erectile-dysfunction.html pet toys Are water filters necessary Cisco config console Enterprise car rental san francisco cadillac hot http://www.rollerhockeygoalieequipment.info/Arnold-swarzenneger-body-building-pics.html bontril results forum+loss+topamax+weight penis pumps and alegro medical impotence australia how to reduce impotence by natural diet that cause impotence

March 06, 2007 3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home