Optional page text here. The Beast's Lair: Life Lists

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Life Lists

Andi was telling me today that a conversation ensued among co-workers about a program they had recently seen which dealt with the topic of life lists, that is, the things on your "list" that you would want to accomplish before you die.

As we were discussing it, I realized that maybe I am a loser. I was trying my hardest to come up with that one thing that I was just dead set on getting accomplished sometime in my life. I really couldn't come up with anything. Oh sure, there are some things I would like to do, but something that I feel would keep me from fully experiencing life if I were unable to do it? Nope, can't think of a one.

It made me think of Apollo 13. At one point before the launch, the media ask Tom Hanks why he is retiring. He replies by saying he is traveling to the moon in the best shuttle with the best crew. He couldn't imagine ever topping that.

Perhaps I am simple in this particular area in my life, but being cuddled on the couch with my wife watching season 2 of "House" on DVD is really as good as it gets for me. I have a relationship with God who has blessed me and my family beyond degree. I have a wife who I can't stand to be away from. What else is there that matters?

So, with that in mind, below are a few things that I guess would go on my "life list." These are some things I would like to experience some day. But the truth of the matter is, if I never get to these things, that really won't bother me at all. These are far from what I would consider "completing me."

1. Visiting the Great Pyramid in Egypt.
2. Walking down "Baker Street" in London.
3. Go fishing with Roland Martin.
4. Play "Deuce" on stage with Paul Stanley.
5. Preach in Joel Osteen's church and use the words hell and sin.
6. Be a Disney employee at The Haunted Mansion.
7. Own my own Haunted House.
8. Talk about Wrestlemania 18 with Hulk Hogan for 2 hours.
9. Preach a week of revival with Alistair Begg.
10. Go on a national "dark ride" tour to visit all the dark rides in the US.

Below are some things that would bring much more joy and blessings than the silly things mentioned above. These are not so much grandiose dreams so much as they are things I fully intend to experience by God's grace.

1. Baptize, or watch the baptism, of my niece, Bella.
2. Drive my son to Gilmore Dock.
3. Grow old with my wife.
4. Teach Greek to anyone who will listen.
5. Cuddle on the couch and watch "House" Season 3 on DVD.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your list some very good things on it! I like the one about Bella the best! Well Andy and I watched our first episode of House the other night and we loved it. He is great.

September 07, 2006 8:31 PM  
Blogger PhilipMeade.com said...

Yep, House is the best thing going right now. I am still looking forward to the season premiere of Law and Order (The original of course) It hasn't already aired has it?

September 07, 2006 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home