Optional page text here. The Beast's Lair: Rush and Greek Syntax

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Rush and Greek Syntax

Today in Greek Syntax we were discussing the different uses of the genitive case (exciting, huh?). It is actually very interesting how theology can be drastically different based on how one interprets the usage of a specific case. Today, we were discussing the subjective, objective, agency, and adjectival uses of the genitive and the phrase "dia pisteuws xristou" was used as an example. A substantive translation here would say "Jesus Christ's faithfulness" whereas an objective translation would say "faith in Jesus Christ." Paul uses this phrase all the time and you can see how different those two concepts are. There is lively scholarly debate on whether the objective interpretation, "faith in Christ" is correct, as this is what most all translations render in English.

Anyway, I said all of that to say this. Dr. Pennington was discussing how we sometimes try to avoid making tough interpretive decisions like this in our translation by going with the "literal" route (a phrase he hates), but in this context if you do the literal thing and say faith of Christ" you have still made an interpretive decision even if you didn't want to.

He then said,

"So, if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

He then pumped out a few air guitar moves and threw up the heavy metal sign and yelled out "RUSH!" No one laughed but me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tim Kuehn said...

Ah, today's "young" people...

I'd suggest a dose of the overture from 2112 at the start of the next class. :)

February 27, 2007 9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was my Senior quote. Did you know that Phil?

I will choose free will!!

March 01, 2007 12:02 AM  
Blogger PhilipMeade.com said...

I did know you loved that line. I didn't know that was your senior quote. Cool!

March 01, 2007 12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose free will.

I used the full chorus as my quote.

Oh and to respond to Tim, Overture would be cool. But a discussion of The Trees would be way cool in any kind of philosophy class I think.

March 01, 2007 10:34 AM  
Blogger Tim Kuehn said...

Overture has an other-wordly feel to it. When I first heard "Trees" I thought it was an allegory about men and women, now I think it's just about people who - while different - are all special in their own ways.

As Paul said - learn to be content in all your situations.

March 05, 2007 9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home