Optional page text here. The Beast's Lair: A Classic Moment in Time

Monday, March 19, 2007

A Classic Moment in Time

Every so often something comes along that brings repeated laughs and recollection. With my family, this happens quite often. But there is one thing that seems so pointless, so insignificant that it could understandably perplex anyone as to the reason for the hilarity of the event.

Well, for the last 5 months there has been one "thing" that has brought my brother Rex and I to tears with laughter on several occasions. Just a few moments ago he called me in laughter, reminding me of how amazingly funny this is. I posted this in October 2006 under the title "HHN 16 PHOTOS." I really don't think I gave enough credit to the brilliance of what happened with that blog article, thus I am now giving better credit where credit is due, even if it is 5 months later.

This requires a little set up.

Rex and I are mutually incredibly gifted in one spectacular way. (perhaps in more than one way, but I am certain of this.) We are the masters of staged photography. I kid you not when I say that we have spent countless hours thinking and strategizing about the next classic photograph. Our brilliance all started when we, some 10 years ago, staged the ALL TIME greatest roller coaster photo at Busch Gardens in Tampa, FL. For my rookies out there, most roller coasters these days take your picture at some point on the ride and you can purchase the picture and the "memory" of riding the coaster after your ride is over. Well, on this momentous day in Busch Gardens, Rex and I were going 65 mph down the main hill on the "Gwazi" wooden roller coaster pretending we were studying the park map. The picture, which we purchased, is undoubtedly the greatest coaster picture ever taken. I mean, this bad boy looks just like we are studying the park map to decide where we want to go next, and we are in full speed down the main hill of Gwazi.

Anyway, I say all of that to let you know that during our waiting time inside the park before HHN (Halloween Horror Nights) at Universal Studios, we decided to take a few staged photos. We were simply drinking some cokes at "Mel's Diner" inside thhe park and tried to figure out some fun photos. We decided to take one of our ol' classics.

This particular classic goes something like this: One person, either me or Rex, appears to be completely relaxed and oblivious to anything that is happening. The other person is flipping out because they see something horrific about to happen, like a meteor getting ready to fall on us. The dichotomy between the one person relaxed and the other flipping out is what makes the picture funny. So, in Mel's Diner, we decided that Rex was going to be the one who noticed the pending calamity and I was going to the oblivious one. (side note - Rex is heads and shoulders above me in the ability to look "flipped out.") The picture you see below is this scenario in full effect. Notice how I look relaxed and chilled out, while Rex is realizing that NOT GOOD THINGS ARE HAPPENING.




Ok, here is where this gets hilarious. Even looking at the picture with the scenario I just described in mind, it is very funny. You probably chuckled yourself. Imagine our surprise when a Beast's Lair reader leaves a comment under this picture that makes our original scenario look like an amateur's attempt at humor.

Barry, from the Inn of the Last Home, has absolutely achieved what must be one his great lifetime moments. He has no idea that Rex and I have laughed about his comment time after time after time. This is one of those things that every time you look at the picture and think about his comment, you see and appreciate new depths of brilliance. If Barry had left out any single word from his comment, such as "once again", it would not be near as funny.

So, this goes out to Barry for giving me and Rex something to repeatedly laugh out loud about. Here is Barry's brilliant comment. Now, go back and look at the picture again with this comment in mind. If you are not laughing out loud, you need to check on your sense of humor.

"Rex realizes with dismay The Beast has once again tricked him into putting helium into the tires of his car"

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Beast is not kidding on this one. We have laughed at this more times than one would think possible. We have reviewed every nuance of the picture and the comment...its just a great time, great time.

Barry, take a well-deserved bow. Long-time readers will be happy to know that we are putting the pressure on Barry to come to Orlando for HHN this year to direct the follow-up to the critically acclaimed short film..MissionIOA.

March 19, 2007 6:17 PM  
Blogger Kelly Klages said...

Thanks for the laugh! Maybe you could put up the occasional picture and let your readers try captioning them. There's nothing quite like a good caption game. :o)

March 20, 2007 12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit, I really did laugh out loud. I guess I have a sense of humor after all!

March 20, 2007 12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't laugh out loud. Instead I spit water all over my monitor.

BTW - My boss says you owe us a new monitor.

March 20, 2007 12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still laughing. . .

March 20, 2007 2:35 PM  
Blogger Barry Wallace said...

I am humbled by the ebullient praise, thank you.

Once again.

And yes, more photos and captions. I should dig out one of the ones Rex took when he and I went to Universal a couple years ago and see what folks can come up with...

March 21, 2007 11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rex mistakenly tries to show a blind man his car floating away...

March 21, 2007 10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home