Optional page text here. The Beast's Lair: Ministry and Stress - An H&R Block Perspective

Friday, March 23, 2007

Ministry and Stress - An H&R Block Perspective

I just returned from the last meeting with my H&R Block representative (Three cheers for self-employment tax!). The lady's name working with me is Jackie. Over the course of our 30 minute time together today, I had the opportunity to share the Gospel.

What better, and perhaps easier opportunity is there to share the Gospel with someone than with the person who works on your taxes and is dealing with an issue related to your being a minister! I already had my foot in the door. As the conversation began to take a spiritual turn, she said something very interesting.

She told me about her friend who was in the pharmaceutical business. He made a nice living but was unhappy due to the stress of the job. Jackie was beaming as she proudly told the story of how this friend one day decided to leave the lucrative yet stressful pharmaceutical business to enter the peaceful, stress-free life of ministry. I almost spit Mountain Dew all over my W-2. Apparently Jackie picked up on my un-affirming gaze and asked me what I thought. So, I told her. Within the framework of my explanation as to why ministry is certainly not "stress-free", I was able to mention sin, the effects of sin, and the need for a Savior. Jackie is a good hearted person who has a mental picture of ministry and spirituality being a care-free world that you escape to when things get bad. Although I did not leave the H&R Block office with Jackie professing to be a follower of Jesus, I am confident about our conversation and trust God to use our time together for His glory.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Klages said...

Stress-free! Hahahahaha! Muhahaha!!!!!

(I'm a pastor's wife.) :o)

March 23, 2007 4:13 PM  
Blogger Tim Kuehn said...

Pastoring is "stress-free"?

That poor pharmacy dude!

----

I'd make the observation that this illustrates how one has to always be ready to give an account for the hope you have in Christ. You never know when something as surprising as this'll jump out of the woodwork...

March 23, 2007 5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home