Optional page text here. The Beast's Lair: How Time Flies

Friday, June 08, 2007

How Time Flies

With God's gracious help, I have finished my first year of seminary at SBTS. Andi and I are thrilled to reflect back on the past year and observe the overflowing joy in our lives from our closer walk with God. While I can admit an increased knowledge in the various areas of religious studies, perhaps the most engaging and delightful scenario of our move to Louisville is simply the desire to know more, and more to the point, to be more. There is something heavy about walking onto the SBTS campus. Certainly not a dreadful kind of heaviness, but I have yet to look across the campus during my time here and not feel some kind of responsibility to get to work, to be my best, to properly use the abilities with which I have been blessed. This is a place where giants have roamed. I sometimes hear them talking to me as I walk to class, whispers that both frighten and encourage.

When the name "Southern Seminary" comes up in conversation, the response is always interesting to watch. This is a place of controversy. Even within my own close association of friends and colleagues, there are some who breathed a sigh of relief at my decision to attend SBTS, while others raised an eyebrow of wonder. Both parties have their reasons, and I would add, genuinely had my best interest in mind. At the end of this year, I think both parties would be happy to know that I have never before been more certain of my situation and God's providential working in my family's life. The fact is, once you step inside the doors of the SBTS classrooms, the controversy fades into reverence, and the SBTS professors could never be accused of speaking lightly the Word of God. Each professor I have had thus far has challenged and modeled for me in various ways the complete superiority of God and His Word. Yes, they have their views, most of which are Reformed, but those views, for which the controversy continues, always rests comfortably behind their own admission of the possibility of human error and not the possible fallibility of Scripture.

For those of you who are interested, I have provided a link to a PDF file of a Greek Syntax Exegesis paper I wrote on 1 Corinthians 1:1-7. This can at least give you a taste for some of the work I am engaged in during the weeks at Southern. (note: for some reason the Greek font did not properly convert in the PDF file, so when you see those weird letters, that is supposed to be Greek letters. This shouldn't be too big of a deal because most of you can't read Greek anyway!)

1 Corinthians 1:1-7 Exegesis

5 Comments:

Blogger Michael Ruffin said...

Philip,

As you know, I was one of those eyebrow raisers. But, as I told you back then, I trusted and continue to trust your desire to be where and to do what God leads you to do. Congratulations on completing your first year! May God continue to bless you. I look forward to where your service is going to lead you.

June 09, 2007 11:46 PM  
Blogger PhilipMeade.com said...

Mike,

Thank you for your kind comment. Your opinion, example, and friendship are dear to me. I hope to see you again sooner than later.

Blessings!
Philip

June 10, 2007 8:21 AM  
Blogger Michael Ruffin said...

You're welcome.

One more thing: when you post a Hebrew exegesis paper, then I'll really be impressed!

June 10, 2007 8:45 AM  
Blogger PhilipMeade.com said...

Hebrew? You don't really read the OT do you?

June 10, 2007 10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say "congratulations", but your seminary work is simply God working in you. Don't let anyone try to convince you that you are not "called" by God...He called the apostles and, now, He is calling you. No miracles or signs are necessary.

What's most important is that you are a Christian man following the will of our God.

I will always pray for you...

June 13, 2007 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home