Optional page text here. The Beast's Lair: Halloween and Rob Zombie

Friday, July 07, 2006

Halloween and Rob Zombie


The press release has been issued, Rob Zombie, musician and filmmaker, will be writing and directing a new Halloween film, the 9th in the franchise. The film is being called a "re-imaging" by Rob, meaning that it is a pre-quel of sorts and a remake tied in one. Since John Carpenter's original 1978 Halloween film is by far The Beast's favorite film of all time, I have been getting asked my thoughts on the upcoming Zombie interpretation.

First of all, I like Rob Zombie. I was a fan of his original White Zombie album that was released in 1992 and have followed his music ever since. I also have enjoyed both of his films, House of 1000 corpses and The Devil's Rejects. The former, I believe, was the superior film, but they both had something offer.

So, as he enters the world of Halloween, I am optimistic. However, the standard has gone way up. He is entering dangerous ground now. Even long time Rob Zombie fans like myself who are also hardcore Halloween (John Carpenter) fans will see any attempt to "remake" Halloween as a major threat and hostility will begin to rise fairly quickly. I have already read on the Halloween message boards the fans of Zombie who just wished he would have never agreed to the project.

Zombie says he wants to put away the current direction of the Halloween sequels and begin with a fresh start. Apparently, he is going to take a closer look at the problematic beginnings of Michael Myers, before he murdered his sister Judith on Halloween night. Now, I have nothing against the concept. The last two Halloween films have been failures. I am a fan of parts 4 and 5, but even they fall tremendously short of the original. (just for the record, I like Halloween 3, which has nothing to do with Michael Myers. The film gets a bad rap. Dan O'Herlihy plays one of the most sinister villains of all time, and delivers one of the greatest horror movie lines of all time in the process.)

I did read tonight that Zombie was quoted as saying he was not going to touch one frame of Carpenters classic. That is good news. I am hoping this film will be similar to the Ultimates in the Marvel comics universe. Everyone knows they are not the original deal and the writers don't try to copy the original. Just the opposite. They take a classic superhero and give them a new beginning. Those have worked very well for Marvel and have started a new generation of comic fans, while not doing away with the veterans who enjoy the classics. I think the same thing can happen here, just so long as Zombie minds his p's and q's.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like H:III as well. Don't compare it to I and II, just take it for a scary movie based around Halloween and its pretty darn good.

One more day 'til Halloween; Halloween; Halloween. One more day 'til Halloween; Silver Shamrock.

The Rob Zombie movie will sure be interesting I would think.

July 07, 2006 12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RZ can do a good job if he just remembers that this is a halloween film and not a dead film.

July 07, 2006 4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love his two movies, it will be interesting to see him direct with less gore.

July 07, 2006 5:20 PM  
Blogger Pastor Scott Stiegemeyer said...

Hi. I, too, like the movies you typically write about. But I wonder, do you ever get flack from people for your interest in horror? I know that as a pastor, sometimes people do give me a funny look if I ever refer to certain horror films, etc. And if you do get hassle, how do you handle it?

July 10, 2006 6:06 PM  
Blogger PhilipMeade.com said...

Pastor Scott,

Welcome back by the way, glad you are home safe and your trip was blessed.

Sure, I sometimes get asked why I like horror films and how I can justify my appreciation when we are to stay away from the "appearance of evil." For me, the first and most important thing is that I am not making a statement or climbing on a soapbox. I respect people's different opinion and never try to convince them of my particular view on movies.

Secondly, what most people who are opposed to these kinds of movies miss in the overall picture of horror is the classic dealings of good vs. evil. I once read an article from a rather conservative pastor in FL who talked about the horror genre clearly defining what is good and evil, and the viewer's interaction througout the film of aligning themselves with the good in a joint effort to defeat the evil. I thought that was brilliant.

Finally, it ultimately comes down to what hinders our relationship with God. The same people who might ask me about why I watch movies with zombies and blood are themselves watching television and movies that celebrate and make light of homosexuality, sexual perversion, and so on. For some reason in the world of television and movies, the only things we identify as evil are those things that go bump in the night. I personally love searching the horror genre for theological significance, and it is almost always there (regardless of the film makers attempt).

July 11, 2006 1:21 AM  
Blogger Pastor Scott Stiegemeyer said...

Beast, the trip was great. Thanks. And thanks for your comments. I'm with you 100%. If you are interested, I wrote an article on horror movies once too. Forgive me the link:
http://burrintheburgh.blogspot.com/2005/04/my-article-on-horror-movies.html

July 11, 2006 12:24 PM  
Blogger PhilipMeade.com said...

Very cool article, thanks for sharing.

July 12, 2006 1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

August 16, 2006 2:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home