Optional page text here. The Beast's Lair: An American Haunting

Friday, April 28, 2006

An American Haunting


This film, which debuts in theaters on May 5th, is a portrayal of the famous "Bell Witch" of Adams, TN. Within the subcategory of horror, possession films are typically my least favorite. I am assuming this film revolves around the framework of possession just based on it's tag line: "possession knows no bounds."

Anyway, I had a rather hearty chuckle when I first saw the trailer on television a couple of nights ago. The opening line of the trailer, delivered by the classic deep threatening voice, went something like this; "To this day, residents of Adams, TN live in terror because of the Bell Witch."

It just so happens that my church is located about 10 minutes from Adams, TN and we have church members who live there. As far as I know, they are not living in terror. Kind of funny when you know the actual people in the town where a film is based. Not that I blame the film makers for using that line. When you are doing the "true story" thing, you have to bring the fear to the present day or it doesn't connect quite as well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Frank Gillespie said...

Maybe the residents of Adams, TN are just too frightened to let you in on the fact that they are living in terror!

April 28, 2006 7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am moving to Adams, TN in a little over a month. It seems strange to me the way people seem to hold on to what cannot be explained because it has not happened in modern times. I do know a girl from Adams, she refuses to go outside after the sun goes down because of the history. When looking to move into the area, I was asking about the "Bell Witch" and no one wanted to comment. Interesting? Perhaps that is similar to the "hanging tree" near my childhood home in Texas, the convicted were hung from the tree in the late 1800's and it was said to be a haunted area. I did not go out there at night, not because of ghosts, but because it just felt weird.

October 21, 2006 3:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home