Optional page text here. The Beast's Lair: The World of Illusions

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The World of Illusions


It is old, cheesy, out-dated and downright silly. And it's one of my favorite places on Earth. In case you don't know what I am talking about, The World of Illusions is a museum in Gatlinburg, TN where you view various illusions taking place behind glass walls. For instance, you view a levitation, the famous Houdini Chinese Water Torture Trick, Dracula turn into a bat, etc. Why do I like it? Well, for one reason, I am a sucker for dark museums, especially ones that are kind of spooky and have tricks in them. But there is just something about the place that rocks beyond measure. I will definitely be dragging Andi there during our honeymoon. Can't wait!

5 Comments:

Blogger thomas said...

Sound like a fun place to go make out with your girlfriend, or a nice place to go to when high!

September 14, 2005 1:57 AM  
Blogger Barry Wallace said...

When I was a kid, that place was just opening up and was heavily advertised - I couldn't WAIT to go. Finally, we took a quick weekend vacation in Gatlinburg and I dragged my mom and dad and brother to go see it.

And I was really disappointed, for some reason... I had hyped it up so much in my head, there was no way it could have lived up to expectations. I mean, it was fun and all but I was expecting something colossal - ah, the fantasies of the pre-adolescent mind.

That's the real illusion, sometimes.

I do enjoy taking a look at the front whenever I wander by on a trip to the mountains. Let me know if it's any better, I might try and take my kids to see it sometime...

September 14, 2005 9:21 AM  
Blogger Barry Wallace said...

Hey, look above there..you got comment spam! No, it's just an illusion...

September 14, 2005 9:22 AM  
Blogger PhilipMeade.com said...

Barry, whatever you do brother, don't believe the hype. I had the same experience with Revenge of the Mummy at Universal. It was cool, but just not as good as it was supposed to be.

My love of WOI has nothing to do with it's high level of realistic illusions, because they stink, but theres just something else about it that I love.

September 14, 2005 11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil you know the only illusion is that the place is any good. ;o)

September 17, 2005 9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home