Optional page text here. The Beast's Lair: Fantastic Four

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Fantastic Four

Rex and I have just returned to our motel room after viewing a matinee feature of Fantastic Four. After riding two rides in US (Universal Studios), we decided it was time to head indoors to escape the heat.

I am a huge FF comic fan, right behind Captain America, so I was looking forward to this movie for quite some time, keeping up with the production, etc. When I saw the first trailer, I was like "oh crap, this is going to stink." It just looked terrible. Well, after viewing the movie, I am happy to write that the film is much better than the trailers portray, but still falls short of a really solid comic book movie, compared to Batman Begins and the incredible X-men series. And I don't even like the X-Men comic books. Reed, aka, Mr. Fantastic just does not come across as the brilliant leader that he is in the comics. But the real problem is Dr. Doom. Not even called Dr. Doom once in the movie, he is portrayed as a cut-throat business man who eventually wears a metal mask. Just not the dark, menacing Doom we know and love. Even remove the expectations of the characters from the comic book, the story still lacks a real punch and the ending left me wanting to see the 2nd FF movie way more than the movie I had just seen. Maybe that is the point.

On the positive side, there are some clever dialogue moments and a few beautiful action sequences. Although the trailer itself to Transporter 2 blew away anything in FF.

Rex really enjoyed the film, so there is another example that what is junk to one is treasure to another.

The Beast Grade: C+